Water softeners are now a necessity at home. It has important functions such as making our water safe to drink and efficient to use. Having good water quality at home can lessen our stress especially in dealing with our home appliances maintenance.
Now, water softeners are portable which means they can now be carried, moved, and transferred. This is good news for people and family who are always on the go, for people who are full-time travellers, and those who love to camp, fish, and stay outdoors.
Portable water softeners are more compact and usually it is smaller from the usual water softeners. It can have a diameter of 7 inches and a height of 22 inches. In spite of its size, on average it can effectively soften 300 gallons of water (depending how hard the water is) between regenerations.
Usually, a portable water softener can last for 10 years or even more. With its affordability and life span, it is indeed a smart choice to invest in this type of water softener.
Why You Need Mobile Water Softener
We all know that water softeners are now part of our household. Its importance cannot be underestimated because of its functionality and efficiency. With the innovations of water softener system, gone are the days that water softeners are only installed at home. Now, mobile water softener is becoming popular.
Having on the go water softener is an advantage because of the following reasons:
- It is handy. This means that you can carry it anywhere you need it. People who have recreational vehicles usually bring with them this type of water system because they are assured of having a soft water without the burden of bringing bulky water softening system.
- It is cheaper. Because of its size, it is more affordable than bigger water softeners. Although less costly, it still works like the standard softeners we have at home. These portable and cheap water softeners are ideal for boat owners, RV vacationers, and apartment renters.
- It has a dual purpose. You can use it at home and in travels. If you are a family of 4, a mobile water softener can still be useful. Aside from its main function of softening the water, it can be installed easily at home without taking up much space. When travelling, it is also easier to carry and set up.
- It can regenerate even without electricity so it is not a hassle to bring anywhere. This is perfect for recreational vehicles such as yachts where there is no electricity and does not involve too complicated installation.
- Depending on the product brand, mobile water softeners are usually compact, lighter, and easy to transport. It goes with handle and full-cradle base for security and stability. It is a space-saver and perfect to carry anywhere you go.
- It is smartly engineered to cater the needs of travellers and people on the go. It is designed to allow high flow rates even if the water pressure is low. It has large mouth opening to make it easier to add salt. It only uses a box of common table salt to regenerate soft water even up to 20 days.
- It functions like the standard water softener because it performs the usual functions such as producing soft water perfect for drinking, cleaning, and lathering of soap.
Limitations of On the Go Water Softener
Mobile water softener may be efficient and portable, but it can also have its share of drawbacks. Here are some of those:
- Because of its size, it only needs small salt fill which can limit the regeneration process.
- Almost all on the go water softeners are small and it needs to be regenerated every 20 days of use.
- You need to buy a large bag of salt just to use a small amount for the system. This can be an additional cost for unnecessary expense.
- When used on a daily basis, it can only last for 3 days without recharging.
- Its limited capacity, it cannot fully soften sea water. This can be a hassle especially when you need soft water while at the beach for vacation.
On the and small water softeners may have several their limitations but for those who are always on the move, portable water softener is a perfect companion to achieve a clean and soft water anytime you want and anywhere you are.
Things to Remember Before Buying Portable Water Softener for RV
Portable water softeners are answered prayer for RV full-timers and vacationers. Having mobile softening system in a recreational vehicle is very much favorable and convenient.
Portable water softeners are now in demand because they are multipurpose. People who love to travel a lot can have easy access to safe and clean water. With the high cost of bottled water, it is advisable to buy mobile water softener to be installed in your RV, boats, cars, yachts, etc.
For those who plan to purchase this type of water softener, here are some tips to consider.
- Make sure it includes a handle to make it easier to carry and transport.
- Check if it has a hook to easily install in moving vehicles without leakage.
- Buy a unit with the size and weight that fits your vehicle.
- Go for quality rather than price. Cheaper water softeners may offer only short warranty.
If you have purchased a water softener for RV, don’t forget to maintain it regularly to make it work efficiently. Always check the brine tank if there is enough salt to regenerate and if the unit that supplies the salt functions well. Also, clean the tubes to avoid clogging. Regularly check the control settings to make sure that water softener is functioning properly.
Apart from buying good quality water softeners, it is also important to have a regular maintenance for your RV water softener to save you money and time. Check out some water softener reviews to help you decide what type of product you want to own.
Overall, a portable water softener is a wise investment. So make sure you choose the best one that suits your need.